"SOCKBURN, a parish partly in the south-western division of STOCKTON ward, county palatine of DURHAM, but chiefly in the wapentake of ALLERTONSHIRE, North riding of the county of YORK, 7 miles S.E. from Darlington, containing, with the townships of Over-Dinsdale and Girsby, 194 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Durham, rated in the king's books at £3. 18. l., endowed with £400 royal bounty, and £400 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Master and Brethren of Sherburn Hospital. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is principally in the early English style, and contains some ancient monuments, one of which is that of the valorous Sir John Conyers, representing him with his feet resting upon a lion, that appears to be contending with a winged dragon. In an adjoining field is the Grey Stone, where, according to legendary story, the dauntless knight slew the " monstrous venemous and poysonous wyveron, ask, or worm, which overthrew and devoured many people in fight." In reference to this is the curious tenure of the manor of Sockburn, for an account of which, see NEASHAM. The river Tees runs through the parish."
"GIRSBY, a township in that part of the parish of SOCKBURN, which is in the wapentake of ALLERTONSHIRE, North riding of the county of YORK, 6 miles W.S.W. from Yarm, containing 85 inhabitants. _ " is separated from the rest of the parish by the river Tees, which bounds it on the north."
"OVER DINSDALE, a township in that part of the parish of SOCKBURN, which is in the wapentake of ALLERTONSHIRE, North riding of the county of YORK, 65 miles W.S.W. from Yarm, containing 66 inhabitants."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]