GENUKI Home page    South Kilvington Parish<br>main page South Kilvington
Parish
main page

SOUTH KILVINGTON:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

"SOUTH KILVINGTON, a parish in the wapentake of BIRDFORTH, North riding of the county of YORK, comprising the townships of South Kilvington, Thornbrough, and Upsal, and containing 405 inhabitants, of which number, 260 are in the township of South Kilvington, 1 mile N. from Thirsk. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Cleveland, and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at 17. 10. 10., and in the patronage of the Master and Fellows of Sidney Sussex College, Cambridge. The church is dedicated to St. Wilfrid."


"THORNBROUGH, a township in the parish of SOUTH-KILVINGTON, wapentake of BIRDFORTH, North riding of the county of YORK, 2 miles E.N.E. from Thirsk, containing 27 inhabitants."


"UPSALL, a township in the parish of SOUTH-KILVINGTON, wapentake of BIRDFORTH, North riding of the county of YORK, 3 miles N.N.E. from Thirsk, containing 118 inhabitants. There are some remains of a castle of the Mowbrays, which subsequently became, the residence of the Scroops."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014