GENUKI Home page    South Kilvington Parish<br>main page South Kilvington
Parish
main page

SOUTH KILVINGTON:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

"SOUTH KILVINGTON, a parish in the wapentake of Birdforth, North Riding county York, 2 miles N.E. of Thirsk, its post town and railway station, and 8 S.E. of Northallerton. It is situated on the road from Thirsk to Yarm, and contains the townships of Thornborough and Upsall. The village is small, and wholly agricultural. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of York, value 511, in the patronage of Sidney Sussex College, Cambridge. The church, dedicated to St. Wilfred, is an ancient edifice with a wooden tower containing two bells. In the interior is an ancient font of the time of Edward IV., on which are engraved the arms of the Scrope family, who had a castle at Upsall. There is a Roman Catholic chapel."


"THORNBROUGH, a township in the parish of South Kilvington, wapentake of Birdforth, North Riding county York, 8 miles S.E. of Northallerton, and 3 N.E. of Thirsk railway station. There is no village. The place was formerly a Roman settlement."


"UPSALL, a township in the parish of South Kilvington, wapentake of Birdforth, North Riding county York, 5 miles N.E. of Thirsk railway station, and 8 S.E. of Northallerton. Here are traces of the Mowbrays' castle."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson 2003


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014