|Yorkshire||North Riding||Nearby places|
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"SOUTH KILVINGTON, a parish in the wapentake of Birdforth; 1 mile N. of Thirsk. The Church here is dedicated to St. Wilfred (see Churches for photograph); the living is a rectory, in the patronage of Sydney College, Cambridge. Pop. 260.
In this Church is a Baptismal Font, made about the time of Edward IV. on which is engraved the arms of the Scropes of Bolton and Upsal. The constant tradition of the neighbourhood has been, that it was removed to its present situation from the chapel of Upsal Castle, in this parish.- For particulars of this Font, see Archaeologia, vol. XL."
"THORNBROUGH, in the parish of South Kilvington and wapentake of Birdforth; ½ mile N. of South Kilvington, 2 miles NNE. of Thirsk. Population, 27."
"UPSALL, in the parish of South Kilvington, and wapentake of Birdforth; 2½ miles NE. of South Kilvington, 4 miles NNE. of Thirsk, in an elevated situation upon the Hambleton hills. The Mowbrays, succeeded by the Scropes, had formerly a castle here.
The ancient family of Scropes were lords of Masham and Upsall; Sir Geoffrey le Scrope, Chief Justice of England in the reigns of Edward II. and Edward III. being Lord thereof. The last male branch of the Scropes who held this manor and castle, was the second Thomas, Lord Scrope, whose sister, Elizabeth, married Sir Ralph Fitzrandolph, and with her went the castle of Upsall. --Archaeol. vol. xvi. What little remains here, have been converted into a farm house and out-offices. In 1814 some remains of a round tower at the north-west corner were to be seen. It is now the property of Mr. Peters, bequeathed to him by the late Dr. Turton. Population in 1821, 118."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]