"SOUTH OTTERINGTON, a parish in the wapent. ake of BIRDFORTH, North riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles S.E. from North Allerton, containing 201 inhabitants. The living is a discharged rectory in two portions, called Gamwell House, andWeatherel House, in the archdeaconry of Cleveland, and diocese of York, the former endowed with £200 royal bounty, each rated in the king's books at £7. 14. 4., and in the patronage of the Rev. J. Sampson. The church is dedicated to St. Andrew."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]