"SOUTH OTTERINGTON, a parish in the wapentake of Birdforth, North Riding county York, 4¼ miles N.W. of Thirsk, its post town, and 5 S.E. of Northallerton. It is a station on the North-Eastern railway. The village, which is of small extent, is wholly agricultural. The land is nearly evenly divided into arable and pasture. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of York, value £290. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, erected on the site of an older one, has a tower containing three bells."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013