GENUKI Home page    Spennithorne Parish<br>main page Spennithorne
Parish
main page

SPENNITHORNE:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

"SPENNITHORNE, a parish in the western division of the wapentake of HANG, North riding of the county of YORK, comprising the townships of Bellerby, Harmby, and Spennithorn, and containing 850 inhabitants,' of which number, 249 are in the township of Spennithorn, 1 mile N.N.E. from Middleham. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Richmond, and diocese of Chester, rated in the king's books at 20. 10. 5.,1 and in the patronage of Marmaduke Wyvill, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Michael. John Hutehinson, a philosophical writer, was born here, in 1667."


"BELLERBY, a chapelry in the parish of SPENNITHORNE, western division of the wapentake of HANG, North riding of the county of YORK, 1 mile N. from Leyburn, containing 407 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry of Richmond, and diocese of Chester, endowed with 400 private benefaction, and 800 royal bounty, and in the patronage of W. Chaytor, Esq."


"HARMBY, a township in the parish of SPENNITHORNE, western division of the wapentake of HANG, North riding of the county of YORK, 2 miles N.W. from Middleham, containing 194 inhabitants."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014