"SPENNITHORNE, a parish in the wapentake of West Hang, North Riding county York, 2 miles S.E. of Leyburn, and 1 mile N.E. of Middleham. It is a station on the Northallerton, Bedale, and Leyburn branch of the North-Eastern railway. The village is situated on the river Ure, and is chiefly agricultural. The parish comprises the townships of Bellerby and Harmby. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ripon, value £425. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is an ancient structure with a square tower, and a clock and three bells. The interior of the church contains tablets to the family of Chaytor. There is also a district church at Bellerby, the living of which is a perpetual curacy, value £78. There is a parochial school for both sexes. Hutchinson, the Hebraist, was born here in 1674. The Hall is the principal residence."
"BELLERBY, a township in the parish of Spennithorne, wapentake of Hang, in the North Riding of the county of York, 2 miles to the N. of Leyburn. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Ripon, value £78, in the patronage of J. C. Chaytor, Esq., to whom the manor belongs. Bellerby Park is the seat of the Chaytors."
"HARMBY, a township and village in the parish of Spennithorne, wapentake of West Hang, North Riding county York, 1 2 mile E. of Leyburn, and a from Spennithorne. The village, which is small, is situated on the northern acclivity of Wensleydale. Here is a chapel for the Wesleyans, built in 1855. Lord Bolton is chief landowner and lord of the manor. An Enclosure Act was obtained in 1775, when the tithes were commuted for land."