GENUKI Home page    Stainton Parish<br>main page Stainton
Parish
main page

STAINTON:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

"STAINTON, a parish and township in the W. division of Langbaurgh liberty, North Riding county York, 4 miles N.W. of Stokesley, its post town, and 5 from Yarm. The village, which is small, is situated on a branch of the river Tees. The parish contains the hamlets of Thornton, Hemlington, Ingleby, Stainsby, Barwick, Maltby, and Thornaby. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of York, value 323, in the patronage of the archbishop. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is ancient. The interior contains monuments of the Pennyman family. The parochial charities produce about 5 per annum, exclusive of other small charities. There is a National school."


"HEMLINGTON, a township in the parish of Stainton, W. division of the liberty of Langbaurgh, North Riding county York, half a mile E. of Stainton, and 4 miles N.W. of Stokesley."


"INGLEBY BARWICK, a township in the parish of Stainton, W. division of the liberty of Langbaurgh, North Riding county York, 3 miles N.E. of Yarm. It contains the hamlets of Leven Bridge, and Newtown. It is situated near the river Tees."


"LEVEN BRIDGE, a hamlet in the parishes of Hilton and Stainton, North Riding county York, 2 miles N.E. of Yarm. It is situated near the point where the river Leaven joins the Tees."


"MALTBY, a township in the parish of Stainton, W. division of the liberty of Langbaurgh, North Riding county York, 4 miles N.W. of Stokesley, and 3 E. of Yarm. It is situated near the river Tees."


"NEWTOWN, a hamlet in the parishes of Hilton and Stainton, North Riding county York, 2 miles E. of Yarm."


"SOUTH STOCKTON, a township in the parish of Stainton, North Riding county York. It is situated on the Darlington railway, opposite Stockton-on-Tees."


"THORNABY ON TEES, a township and chapelry in the parish of Stainton, W. division of Langbaurgh liberty, North Riding county York, 1 mile S.E. of Stockton, its post town, and 1 from the South Stockton railway station. The village, which is large but straggling, is situated on the line of the Stockton and Darlington railway, which is here carried by a bridge across the river Tees, on the banks of which are extensive wharves and shipbuilding-yards. The township includes the hamlet of Stockton South of the Tees, and has increased in population. Many of the inhabitants are employed in cotton-spinning, and in the potteries, glass-bottle manufactory, iron-foundry, and in ship-building. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of York, value 120, in the patronage of the archbishop. The church is an ancient structure with a turret containing two bells."


"THORNTON, a hamlet in the township and parish of Stainton, North Riding county York, 4 miles N.W. of Stokesley."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson 2003


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014