GENUKI Home page    Stanwick Saint John Parish<br>main page Stanwick Saint John
Parish
main page

STANWICK SAINT JOHN:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

"STANWICK SAINT JOHN, a parish in the western division of the wapentake of GILLING, North riding of the county of YORK, comprising the townships of Aldbrough, Caldwell, East Layton, and Stanwick St. John, and containing, exclusively of a portion of the township of Stapleton, which is in this parish, 928 inhabitants, of which number, 59 are in the township of Stanwick St. John, 7 miles N.E. from Richmond. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Richmond, and diocese of Chester, rated in the king's books at 6.13. 4., and in the patronage of John Wbarton, Esq. The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, is a very ancient stone structure, and contains two fine' marble statues to the memory of Sir Hugh and Lady Smithson. In this parish is a most extensive intrench-, ment, enclosing an area of nearly one thousand acres; it has been ascribed to the Romans, and also to the Scots; butWhitaker, the learned-antiquary, considers it the site,of an ancient camp, or city, of the Britons."


"ALDBROUGH, a township in that part of the parish of STANWICK SAINT JOHN, which is in the western division of the wapentake of GILLING, North riding of the county of YORK, 6 miles N.E. from Richmond, containing 544 inhabitants. There is a place of worship for WesleyanMethodists A very good free school was built here by S. M. Barrett, Esq., which is conducted on the Lancasterian plan, and supported by voluntary subscription."


"CALDWELL, a township in that part of the parish of STANWICK SAINT JOHN, which is in the western division of the wapentake of GILLING, North riding of the county of YORK, 5 miles E. from Greta-Bridge, containing 188 inhabitants. This was formerly a place of much greater extent aud importance. Here is a school with a small endowment. A Roman military road passed through the township."


"EAST LAYTON, a township in that part of the parish of STANWICK SAINT JOHN,, which is in the western division of the wapentake of GILLING, North riding of the county of YORK, 6 miles E.S.E. from Greta Bridge, containing 137 inhabitants."


"STAPLETON, a township in the parishes of STANWICK SAINT JOHN, and CROFT ON TEES, eastern division, of the wapentake of GILLING, North riding of the county of YORK, 2 miles S.W. from Darlington, containing 113 inhabitants."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014