|Stanwick Saint John
"STANWICK SAINT JOHN, a parish in the wapentake of Gilling West, North Riding county York, 7 miles W. of Darlington, its post town, and 3 S. of Pierce Bridge railway station. The village, which is large, is situated on the Clobeck stream, and on the Roman way from Catterick. The parish contains the hamlet of Moor-Row, and the townships of Aldbrough, Caldwell, East Layton, and Stanwick St. John, besides part of Stapleton. The soil is clay and loam, with a subsoil of clay. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon, value £61. The church, dedicated to St. John, is an ancient structure with a tower and three bells. The interior contains effigies of the Smithsons, ancestors of the Duke of Northumberland, of Stanwick House. The register dates from 1693. The parochial charities produce about £14 per annum. Stanwick Hall is situated in a wooded park. The Duke of Northumberland is lord of the manor."
"ALDBROUGH, a township in the parish of Stanwick Saint John, wapentake of West Gilling, in the North Riding of the county of York, 7 miles to the N.E. of Richmond. A free school, founded by Mr. Barrett, is supported by subscription. The Wesleyans have a chapel here. Aldbrough House is the principal residence."
"CALDWELL, a township in the parish of Stanwick Saint John, wapentake of West Gilling, in the North Riding of the county of York, 8 miles to the N. of Richmond. It was formerly an important town on one of the Roman military ways. There is a small endowed school."
"EAST LAYTON, a township in the parish of Stanwick Saint John, wapentake of West Gilling, North Riding county York, 2 miles S. of Stanwick, and 5 N. of Richmond, its post town. There is a chapel-of-ease. Edward R. Kemp, Esq., is lord of the manor. East Layton Hall is the principal residence."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013