"STARTFORTH, a parish in the western division of the wapentake of GILLING, North riding of the county of YORK, 1 mile W.S.W. from Barnard-Castle, containing 460 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Richmond, and diocese of Chester, rated in the king's books at £4. 0. 10., endowed with £200 private benefaction, and £200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Earl of Lonsdale. The church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, is of great antiquity."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]