"STARTFORTH, a parish in the wapentake of West Gilling, North Riding county York, 1 mile S.W. of Barnard Castle, its nearest railway station and post town, and 15 miles from Richmond. The village is situated on the river Tees, which separates here the counties of York and Durham. In the vicinity is a thread manufactory, which gives employment to many of the inhabitants. The soil is of a loamy description, and the subsoil clayey. The parish includes the townships of Eggleston Abbey and Boldron. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ripon, value £150. The church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, is an ancient structure with a turret and two bells. The parochial charities produce about £2 per annum. There is a free school for both sexes supported by voluntary contributions. Startforth Hall and Lower Startforth Hall are the principal residences."
"BOLDRON, a township in the parish of Startforth, wapentake of West Gilling, in the North Riding of the county of York, near Barnard Castle."
"EGGLESTONE ABBEY, a township in the parish of Startforth, wapentake of West Gilling, North Riding county York, 1 mile S.E. of Barnard Castle. It is situated on the river Tees, and has remains of the abbey for Premonstratensian Canons, founded by Ralph de Multon in the 12th century. At the Dissolution, its revenue was estimated at £36 8s. 3d. The abbey church, a cruciform structure, is almost entire. There is a bridge crossing the river, built by the owner of Rokeby Hall, a handsome seat in the township."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013