"STILLINGTON, a parish in the liberty of ST-PETER-of-YORK, East riding, though locally in the wapentake of Bulmer, North riding of the county of YORK, 4 miles E.S.E. from Easingwold, containing 698 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the peculiar jurisdiction and patronage of the Prebendary of Stillington in the Cathedral Church of York, rated in the king's books at £4. 15. 5., and endowed with £200 royal bounty. The church is dedicated to St. Nicholas. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. A National school has been established in the village. The celebrated Laurence Sterne held this living, and resided at Sutton in the neighbourhood."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]