|Stockton On The Forest
"STOCKTON ON THE FOREST, a parish, partly in the liberty of St. Peter's, East Riding, and partly in the wapentake of Bulmer, North Riding county York, 5 miles N.E. of York, its post town, and 1 mile S. of the Stockton railway station on the Market Weighton branch of the North-Eastern line of railway. The village is situated on the E. side of the ancient forest of Galtrees. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. The soil is sandy. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of York, value £157, in the patronage of the archbishop. The church is dedicated to St. Peter. There is an endowed village school at which a Sunday-school is held. Hazel Bush, Brockfield, and Stockton Hall, are the principal residences. J. Agar, Esq., is lord of the manor."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013