"STOKESLEY, a parish in the western division of the liberty of LANGBAURGH, North riding of the county of YORK, comprising the market-town of Stokesley, and the townships of Great and Little Busby, Easby, and Newby, and containing 2290 inhabitants, of which number, 1897 are in the town of Stokesley, 41 miles N.W. from York, and 242 N.W. from London. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Cleveland, and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £30. 6. 10., and in the patronage of the Archbishop of York. The church is dedicated to St. Peter. There are places of worship for Independents and Primitive and Wesleyan Methodists. This place is situated on the northern bank of the river Leven, in the centre of the fruitful tract called Allertonshire, which, at the distance of about five miles from the town, is bounded by the Cleveland hills, forming a vast and majestic amphitheatre. The houses are neatly built in a modern style, and are ranged chiefly in one spacious street, from east to west: the market, which is held on Saturday, is abundantly supplied with provisions. There are fairs for horses, cattle, &c., on the Saturdays before Trinity and Palm Sundays, and before Old Lammas-day. The trade is principally in linen; one of the mills for its manufacture is worked by a powerful steam-engine. A court leet is held annually, and the magistrates hold petty sessions every week. Two National schools, one for e sex, have been established, in connexion with the diocesan schools, and are partly supported by subscription and partly by the dividends arising from £2780.1.5' five per cents., bequeathed, in 1805, by John Preston,' The Society for the Promotion of Christian Knowledge in 1818,established a depository of books in the vestryroom of the church, from which many thousand volumes have been since distributed."
"EASBY, a township in the parish of STOKESLEY, western division of the liberty of LANGBAURGH, North riding of the county of YORK, 3 miles N.E. from Stokesley, containing 124 inhabitants."
"GREAT BUSBY, a township in the parish of STOKESLEY, western division of the liberty of LANGBAURGH, North riding of the county of YORK, 2 miles S. from Stokesley, containing, with the hamlet of Little Busby, 117 inhabitants."
"NEWBY, a township in the parish of STOKESLEY, western division of the liberty of LANGBAUGH, North riding of the county of YORK, 3 miles N.N.W. from Stokesley, containing 152 inhabitants. A small free school was founded here in 1640."
any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2016