"STOKESLEY, a parish and post and market town in the W. division of Langbaurgh liberty, North Riding county York, 2 miles from Kirby, and 41 N.W. of York. It is a station on the North Yorkshire and Cleveland line of railway. It is situated in the centre of the level tract called Cleveland, and on the northern bank of the river Leven, under Wainstone Hill, which rises 1,300 feet, and is surrounded by other hills, forming a vast amphitheatre. It is a polling and petty sessions town on the road from Northallerton to Whitby. The parish includes the townships of Great and Little Busby, Easby, and Newby, and the hamlets of North and South Tanton. The town consists chiefly of one street extending from E. to W. about half a mile in length. It is well paved and lighted with gas, and the houses are built in a modern style. The new townhall was constructed in 1853, at the expense of the late Robert Hilyard, Esq., of whom it contains a portrait. It comprises rooms for the use of the magistrates and county court; also a savings-bank and dispensary. The population is much reduced, eighty houses being empty at the last census. The best of the artizans are mostly gone to Middlesborough. Petty sessions are held fortnightly. The Poor-law Union of Stokesley comprises 29 parishes or townships. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of York, value £1,220, in the patronage of the archbishop. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is an ancient structure, partly rebuilt in 1717, with a tower and three bells. There is the Preston free grammar school for 27 boys of this parish. There are also a parish and infant schools. On the road towards Ayton is the cemetery. Market day is Saturday. Fairs are held on the Saturdays before Palm and Trinity Sundays, and statute fairs for the hiring of servants on the Saturdays before Martinmas and May Day."
"EASBY, a township and chapelry in the parish of Stokesley, W. division of the liberty of Langbaurgh, North Riding of county York, 2 miles S.E. of Great Ayton, and 4 E. of Stokesley, its post town and railway station. On the top of a hill in this neighbourhood is a monument to Captain Cook, the great navigator. The church is a handsome modern building. The Wesleyans have a chapel."
"GREAT BUSBY, (and Little) townships in the parish of Stokesley, in the liberty of Langbaurgh, North Riding of the county of York, 2 miles to the S. of Stokesley, which is a station on the North Yorkshire and Cleveland branch of the North-Eastern railway."
"NEWBY, a township in the parish of Stokesley, W. division of Langbaurgh liberty, North Riding county York, 3 miles N. of Stokesley. The village, which is small, consists of a few straggling farmhouses. The free school which formerly existed here has been discontinued. There is a place of worship for the Wesleyans."
"TANTON, a hamlet in the parish of Stokesley, North Riding county York, 2 miles from Stokesley, and 39 N. of York. It is situated near the river Leven, under Wainstone Fell."
any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2016