"BAYESDALE, in the parish of Stokesley, wapentake and liberty of Langbargh; 6 miles E. of Stokesley, 7 miles S. of Guisborough. Here was a small Cistercian nunnery, founded and endowed by the benefactions of Ralf de Nevill and Guido do Bovingcourt, dedicated to the Blessed Virgin. This house had a prioress and nine or ten nuns, whose income at the dissolution was valued at £20. 1s. 4d. The site of the priory, with the lands, were granted 36 Henry VIII. to Ralph Bulmer and John Thynde, to be held of the King in capite. After divers grants and alienations it became the property of the Fotherleys of Castleton; and about the year 1729, was purchased by Ann, daughter of William Peirson, Esq. of the middle temple, London; but the said Ann dying unmarried and intestate, her brother, Bradshaw Peirson, Esq. succeeded to her estates. The buildings of the priory retaining little of their monastic appearance, are now converted into Farm-houses. Matthew Russell, Esq. of Brancepeth Castle, in the county of Durham, is the present proprietor."
"BRAWARTH, (later Braworth, now (2005), Brawith), a farm house in the township of Skutterskelfe, and parish of Stokesley; 1½ miles WSW. of Stokesley."
"EASBY, in the parish of Stokesley, wapentake and liberty of Langbargh; 3¼ miles E. of Stokesley. The village, which consists chiefly of a few farm houses, stands in a pleasing wooded vale, watered by a branch of the Leven; on the eastern bank of which stands Easby Hall (the seat of Robert Champion, Esq.), formerly a seat of the Lords Eures, but now used as a farm house, and falling into decay. The principal inhabitant in this village is Mrs. Ella. Adamson. Population. 124."
"ESKLETS, (or Esklitts) a single house in the township of Westerdale, and parish of Stokesley; 11 miles from Guisborough, 12 from Stokesley. It is now abandoned but beloved of thousands of Lyke Wake Walkers who would collapse for a rest there![Ron Kerrison 2008]"
"GREAT BUSBY, in the parish of Stokesley, wapentake and liberty of Langbargh; 1¾ miles S. of Stokesley, 2 miles S. of Stokesley. Pop. 117."
"LITTLE BUSBY, in the township of Great-Busby, and parish of Stokesley, west- division of Langbarugh; (Busby Hall, the seat of the Rev. George Marwood) 3½ miles from Stokesley, 10 from Yarm, 13 from Northallerton.
The family of the Marwoods appear to have resided here since 1600, though originally from Nunthorpe. -Graves. In 1745, Busby-Hall was in the possession of Mrs. Turner, widow of Cholmley Turner, Esq. who bequeathed it to the late William Marwood. Esq."
"NEWBY, in the parish of Stokesley, wapentake and liberty of Langbargh; 2½ miles NNW. of Stokesley. Here is a small school for 10 poor children, born within the townships of Newby and Seamer, founded and endowed, 1640, by Christopher Coulson, citizen and dyer of London, a native of this place. Pop. 152."
"RALPH'S CROSS, or Westerdale Beacon, in the parish of Stokesley, wapentake and liberty of Langbargh; 11 miles N. of Kirkbymoorside."
"TANTON, 3 farm houses in the parish of Stokesley wapentake and liberty of Langbargh; 1¼ miles N. of Stokesley."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]