GENUKI Home page    Stonegrave Parish<br>main page Stonegrave
Parish
main page

STONEGRAVE:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

"STONEGRAVE, a parish in the wapentake of RYEDALE, North riding of the county of YORK, comprising the townships of East Ness, West Ness, East Newton with Laysthorpe, and Stonegrave, and containing 373 inhabitants, of which number, 177 are in the township of Stonegrave, 4 miles S.S.E. from Helmsley. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Cleveland, and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at 33. 6. 8 and in the patronage of the Crown. The church is partly in the decorated, and partly in the later, style of English architecture."


"EAST NESS, a township in the parish of STONEGRAVE, wapentake of RYEDALE, North riding of the county of YORK, 6 miles E.S.E. from Helmsley, containing 59 inhabitants."


"LAYSTHORPE, a township, joint with East Newton, in the parish of STONEGRAVE, wapentake of RYEDALE, North riding of the county of YORK, 3 miles S.S.E. from Helmsley. The population is returned with East Newton."


"WEST NESS, a township in the parish of STONEGRAVE, wapentake of RYEDALE, North riding of the county of YORK, 6 miles E.S.E. from Helmsley, containing 65 inhabitants."

[Transcribed by Mel Lockie from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014