"STONEGRAVE, a parish and township in the wapentake of Ryedale, North Riding county York, 2 miles E. of Oswaldkirk, its post town, and 2 N.W. of Hovingham railway station, on the Molten and Thirsk line. The village, which is chiefly agricultural, is situated on the road between Malton and Helmesley. The parish includes the townships of East and West Ness, and East Newton. The soil is chiefly of a loamy character, with a gravelly and clayey subsoil. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of York, value £550, in the patronage of the Crown. The church, dedicated to St. Nicholas, has a tower and three bells. In the interior are several monuments of great antiquity. The parochial charities produce about £9 per annum, £6 going for repairs of the church. There are church schools for both sexes, also an infant school. W. Rutson, Esq., is lord of the manor."
"EAST NEWTON, a township in the parish of Stonegrave, wapentake of Ryedale, North Riding county York, 3 miles N.W. of Hovingham station, and 4 S. by E. of Helmsley. Sir George Wombwell, Bart., is lord of the manor. It is joined with Laysthorpe to form a township."
"LAYSTHORPE, (or Laisthorpe), a township in the parish of Stonegrave, wapentake of Ryedale, North Riding county York, 4 miles S.E. of Helmsley. It is a joint township with East Newton."
"WEST NESS, a township in the parish of Stonegrave, wapentake of Ryedale, North Riding county York, 3 miles N.E. of Hovingham railway station, and 10 N. by W. of Whitwell. The township is of small extent, and the village is situated on the river Rye, which abounds with trout. The soil consists of clay upon a substratum of redstone and excellent limestone, which is quarried for building purposes. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. William Rutson, Esq., is lord of the manor. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment under an Enclosure Act in 1776."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013