|Yorkshire||North RidingYorkshire||Nearby places|
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]"STONEGRAVE, a parish in the wapentake of Rydale; 5 miles SE. of Helmsley. The church (see Churches for photograph) is a rectory of which the King is the patron. Pop. 177.
In this church are three inscriptions, illustrative of the descendant of that learned divine Thomas Comber, D.D. dean of Durham, whose son Thomas, resided at East Newton, in this parish. --The particulars may be met with in Nichols' Lit. Anecdotes."
"BIRCH, a farm house in the parish of Stonegrave; 1¾ miles WNW. of Stonegrave, 3½ miles from Helmsley, 7½ miles from Kirkbymoorside."
"EAST NESS, in the parish of Stonegrave and wapentake of Rydale; 2½ miles ENE. of Stonegrave, 6 miles S. of Kirkbymoorside. Pop. 59.
In a ploughed field, near this village, in 1616, was found, the following sepulchral inscription, on a sarcophagus, which contained human bones.TITIA' PINTA' VIX' ANN' XXXVIlI' ET' VAL' ADIVTORI' VIX' ANN' XX' ET' VARIOLO' VIX' ANN' XV' VAL' VINDICIANVS' CONIVGI' ET' FILIlS' F. C.
"EAST NEWTON, in the parish of Stonegrave, wapentake of Rydale, and liberty of St. Peter's; 1¼ miles SW. of Stonegrave, 4 miles SSE. of Helmsley. Pop. including Laysthorpe, 72.
Of this place was the Rev. Thomas Comber, eldest son of Thomas Comber, esq. of East-Newton, and grandson of the pious and learned Dr. Comber, dean of Durham. Dr. Comber died at Buckworth, in 1778; and was buried at Stonegrave. -Nichols' Lit. Anecdotes."
"LEYSTHORPE, a farm house in the township of East-Newton, and parish of Stonegrave; 1¼ miles WNW. of Stonegrave, 4 miles south of Helmsley, 7 from Kirbymoorside."
"WEST NESS, in the parish of Stonegrave, and wapentake of Rydale; 2¼ miles ENE. of Stonegrave, 6 miles S. of Kirkbymoorside. Pop. 63."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]