"STRENSALL, a parish within the liberty of ST-PETER-of-YORK, East riding, though locally in the wapentake of Buhner, North riding, of the county of YORK, 6 miles N.N.E. from York, containing 378 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the peculiar jurisdiction and patronage of the Prebendary of Strensall in the Cathedral Church of York, rated in the king's books at £4. 13. 4. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. Robert Wilkinson, in 1718, gave by deed £14. 6. per annum in support of a school; the present annual income, arising from this and other sources, is £34, for which the master instructs all the poor children of the parish."
"EARSWICK, a township partly in the parish of STRENSALL, within the liberty of ST-PETER-OF-YORK, but chiefly in the parish of HUNTINGTON, wapentake of BULMER, North riding of the county of YORK, 3 miles N.N.E. from York, containing 113 inhabitants, exclusively of those which are within the liberty of St. Peter."
"TOWTHORPE, a township partly in the parish of STRENSALL, within the liberty of ST-PETER-of-YORK, East riding, and partly in that of HUNTINGDON, wapentake of BULMER, North riding, of the county of YORK, 5 miles N.E. from York, containing, in the latter portion, 58 inhabitants, the former part being returned with Strensall."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]