"STRENSALL, a parish in the wapentake of Bulmer, and within the liberty of St. Peter's, North Riding county York, 5½ miles N.E. of York, its post town. It is a station on the North-Eastern railway. The village is situated on the Scarborough railway and the river Foss. The soil consists of sand and vegetable mould. The living is a vicarage* with the curacy of Haxby annexed, in the diocese of York, value £250, in the patronage of the archbishop. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, was rebuilt in 1802. The parochial charities produce about £50 per annum. There are National schools for both sexes, also a Church Sunday-school. The Wesleyans have a chapel. Leonard Thompson, Esq., is lord of the manor."
"TOWTHORPE, a township partly in the parish of Strensall, liberty of St. Peter, and partly in that of Huntingdon, wapentake of Bulmer, North Riding county York, 5 miles N.E. of York, on the Scarborough railway and the river Foss."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013