|Sutton On The Forest
"SUTTON ON THE FOREST, a parish in the wapentake of BULMER, North riding of the county of YORK, comprising the townships of Huby and Sutton on the Forest, and containing 940 inhabitants, of which number, 443 are in the township of Sutton on the Forest, S miles N.W. from York. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Cleveland, and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at & 17. 3. 4., and in the patronage of the Archbishop of York. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is a very handsome structure. The celebrated Lawrence Sterne was vicar of this parish. There is a place of worship for Independents."
"HUBY, a township in the parish of SUTTON on the FOREST, wapentake of BULMER, North riding of the county of YORK, 9 miles N.N.W. from York, containing 497 inhabitants. Here are places of worship for the Society of Friends, and Primitive and Wesleyan Methodists."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]