|Sutton On The Forest
"SUTTON ON THE FOREST, a parish in the wapentake of Bulmer, North Riding county York, 8 miles N.W. of York, its post town, and 4 E. of Tollerton railway station. The parish includes the township of Huby, and once formed part of Galtres Forest. Laurence Sterne was once vicar of this parish. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of York, value £390, in the patronage of the archbishop. The church is dedicated to All Saints. The Independents have a chapel. The parochial charities produce about £12 per annum. There are parochial and Sunday schools for both sexes. The principal residence is Sutton Hall. W. C. Harland, Esq., is lord of the manor."
"HUBY, a township in the parish of Sutton-on-the-Forest, wapentake of Bulmer, North Riding county York, 4 miles from Tollerton railway station, and 1 mile W. of Sutton-on-the-Forest. At the end of the village is a Maypole of various colours, where a feast is held on the third Sunday in June. The soil consists chiefly of clay and sand. The Wesleyan Society of Friends and Primitive Methodists have each a place of worship. There is an unconsecrated burial-ground."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013