"TERRINGTON, a parish partly within the liberty of ST-PETER-of-YORK, East riding, but chiefly in the wapentake of BULMER, North riding, of the county of YORK, comprising the townships of Ganthorpe, and Terrington with Wigginthorpe, and containing 723 inhabitants, of which number, 617 are in the township of Terrington with Wigginthorpe, 8 miles W. from New Malton. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Cleveland, and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £23. 18. 65., and in the patronage of the Rev. Dr. Waddilove. The church is dedicated to All Saints. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists."
"GANTHORPE, a township in the parish of TERRINGTON, wapentake of BULMER, North riding of the county of YORK, 7 miles S.W. from New Malton, containing 106 inhabitants. Here is a school, endowed by the Earl of Carlisle with about £20 per annum."
"WIGGINTHORPE, a township, joint with Terrington, in the parish of TERRINGTON, partly within the liberty of ST-PETER-of-YORK, East riding, and partly in the wapentake of BULMER, North riding, of the county of YORK, 9 miles W. from New Malton. The population is returned with Terrington."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]