"TERRINGTON, a parish in the wapentake of Bulmer, North Riding county York, with a part in the liberty of St. Peter's, 7 miles S.W. of Malton, its post town, and 5 N. of the Flaxton station on the York and Scarborough line of railway. In the vicinity is a stone quarry. The soil is of various qualities, upon a subsoil of lime. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of York, value £571. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient structure, with a tower and three bells. The interior contains several brasses and monuments. The parochial charities produce about £9 per annum. There is a National school for both sexes, at which a Sunday-school is also held. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have chapels. The Earl of Carlisle is lord of the manor and chief landowner."
"GANTHORPE, a township in the parish of Terrington, and wapentake of Bulmer, North Riding county York, 6 miles W. of New Malton. The Earl of Carlisle is sole proprietor, and supports the school here."
"MOWTHORPE, a hamlet in the parish of Terrington, wapentake of Bulmer, North Riding county York, 6 miles S.W. of New Malton."
"WIGGINTHORPE, a township in the parish of Terrington, North Riding county York, 8 miles W. of New Malton."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013