"THIRSK, (or THRUSK) a parish in the North Riding of Yorkshire, 162 cm. 159 mm. from London an ancient Bor. by prescription, had once a very strong castle, demolished by Henry II. and was the Lp. of the Mowbrays. 'Tis a T. corp. governed by a bailiff, and about 50 burgage-holders, by whom its members of Pt. are chosen, and returned by the bailiff, who is chosen by the burgesses, and sworn by the steward of the Earl of Derby, Ld. of the manor, for whom he holds court at Lady-day and Michaelmas. The Mt. is on M. Fairs once a fortnight, Shrove-M. T. after Lady-day, T. after St. James, St. Andrew's, and St. Luke's, for cattle of all sorts."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Stephen Whatley's England's Gazetteer, 1750]