The Ancient Parish of THIRSK
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. © 2010]
[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]
"THIRSK, a small market town and a parish in the wapentake of Birdforth : 9
miles from Northallerton; 10 miles from Easingwold; 11 from Boroughbridge; and
23 from York. This town is pleasantly situated in the vale of Mowbray; and is
conjectured to derive its name from the ancient British words, Tre -a
town, and Isk -a river, or brook."
(There is further information for Thirsk).
"CARLTON MINIOTT, (or Carleton Islebeck) in the parish of Thirsk, wapentake of
Birdforth, and liberty of St. Peter's; 2 miles WSW. of Thirsk. Pop. 221."
"SANDHUTTON, in the parish of Thirsk, and wapentake of Birdforth; 3 miles W. of
Thirsk, 3 miles WSW. of Thirsk. In addition to the Chapel of Ease dedicated to
St. Mary, there is here a chapel for the Methodists. Pop. 273."
"SOWERBY, in the parish of Thirsk, and wapentake of Birdforth; (the seats of
Robert Bell Livesy, and Cornelius Cayley, Esqrs.); ½ mile SSE. of Thirsk. Is a
pleasant village, containing many good houses, and communicates with Thirsk by
an excellent gravel walk, across the fields called the flats. This walk commands
a fine view of the adjacent country, terminated by the Hambleton hills, and is
the favourite promenade of the inhabitants. There is here an ancient Chapel of
Ease to the church of Thirsk, Population, 748."
- St Leonard's Church, Sand Hutton has two graveyards - the old one round the church and a new one in a separate location about 50 yards away.
The church practices the Living Churchyard system. [Judith Richardson, January 2008]
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish:
St. Mary's Church, Thirsk.
St. Mary's Church, Thirsk.
All Saints Roman Catholic Church, Thirsk.
St. James Green Methodist Church, Thirsk.
St. Lawrence's Church, Carlton Miniott.
Hambleton Evangelical Church, Carlton Miniott.
St. Leonard's Church, Sandhutton.
The Methodist Church, Sandhutton.
St. Oswald's Church, Sowerby.
The Methodist Church, Sowerby.
- The following Churches have their own websites:
A history of Thirsk by Thirskweb.com.
The site also has
lots of old photographs.
- In 1868, Carlton Miniott (in this parish) was constituted a separate parish
for all civil and ecclesiastical purposes. See
Carlton Miniott Parish.
- Between 1822 and 1890, Sowerby (in this parish)
was constituted for all civil and ecclesiastical purposes,
became a separate parish. See
- Between 1865 and 1890, Sand Hutton (a township in this parish) was constituted a
separate parish. See
Sand Hutton Parish.
- This parish is covered by the following Society:
This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal
use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers,
please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014