[Transcribed information mainly from the early 1820s]
"THORNTON STEWARD, a parish in the wapentake of Hang West, and liberty of Richmondshire; 3 miles E. of Middleham. The church is a neat Gothic structure, dedicated to St. Oswald; the living is a vicarage, in the patronage of the Bishop of Chester. This village is pleasantly situated in Wensleydale, on the north side of the river Ure. In 1815, there was erected, by George Horn, Esq. of this place, a neat school house, endowed with £10. per annum, for the education of the poor children belonging to the parish. Pop. 265."
"DANBY, in the parish of Thornton Steward, wapentake of Hang West; 1½ miles NW. of Thornton Steward, 2 miles E. of Middleham. Danby hall is an extensive stone building apparently of great antiquity."
"DANBY HALL, (the seat of Simon Thomas Scrope, Esq.) in the township and parish of Thornton-Steward; 1¼ miles WNW. of Thornton Steward, 2 miles from Middleham, 4½ from Leyburn.
The Scropes of Danby have survived every other branch of that illustrious name. -Whitaker"
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]