"THORNTON DALE, is a delightful village and township, in the parish of its name, in the same lythe as Pickering, two miles and a half from that town, on the road to Scarborough. The public edifices here are the parish church, the living of which is in the gift of Richard Hill, Esq. and incumbency of the Rev. J.H.Webb ; a methodist chapel, and a free grammar school ; the latter was endowed by Lady Lumley, for children of the parishes of Sinnington and Thornton, who were to derive the benefits of schooling, teaching, and instructing gratuitously : in this respect Sinnington is the more favoured, for there the children receive indispensable education, while here the classics only are taught gratis -- that such should have been the intention of the lady appears singular ; however, the matter has been tried in the court of chancery, proceedings having been instituted by some of the parishoners, and a decision was given in favour of the trustees, to the manifest disappointment of those who raised the question. The school is ably conducted by the Rev. Thomas Irvin, jun. There are also twelve alms houses, founded by the same lady, for poor aged persons of this and some adjacent villages. The population of the parish, in 1831, was 1,368, and the township 937 of that number.
Please see Pickering Parish for the 1834 trades directory for this parish."