"THORNTON DALE, (with Farmanby), a parish, in Pickering Lythe wapentake, North Riding county York, 3 miles S.E. of Pickering, its post town, and 9 from Malton. The parish, which is extensive, is situated on the main road between Scarborough and Pickering, and includes a large tract of moorland, chiefly a rabbit warren. Coarse paper is made, and there is also a tanyard. The soil is loamy, with a subsoil of rock and limestone. There are numerous atone quarries and lime kilns. The surface, at the base of the moorlands, is flat, and the land chiefly arable. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of York, value £396. The church, dedicated to All Saints, contains several monuments. There are National schools for both sexes, and infant and Sunday schools. The Wesleyans have a chapel. The Viscountess Lumley founded and endowed, in 1567, a free grammar school, and 12 almshouses; the income of the charity is now about £500 per annum, and from the same fund are also maintained similar establishments in London."