|Thornton Le Street
"THORNTON LE STREET, a parish in the wapentake of ALLERTONSHIRE, North riding of the county of YORK, comprising the townships of North Kilvington and Thornton le Street, and containing 199 inhabitants, of which number, 131 are in the township of Thornton le Street, 3 miles N.N.W. from Thirsk. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the peculiar jurisdiction of the court of the Bishop of Durham, for Allerton and Allertonshire, rated in the king's books at £4, endowed with £200 private benefaction, £200 royal bounty, and £500 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Dean and Canons of Christ Church, Oxford. The church is dedicated to St. Leonard."
"NORTH KILVINGTON, a township in the parish of THORNTON le STREET, wapentake of ALLERTONSHIR. E, North riding of the county of YORK, 2 miles N. from Thirsk, containing 68 inhabitants. There is a chapel for Roman Catholics."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]