"THORNTON STEWARD, a parish in the western division of the wapentake of HANG, North riding of the county of YORK, 2 miles S.E. from Middleham, containing 265 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Richmond, and diocese of Chester, rated in the king's books at £6.13. llj.%) endowed with £200 private benefaction, and £200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Bishop of Chester. The church, dedicated to St. Oswald, is principally in the Norman style. The river Ure bounds the parish on the south. A neat school was erected in 1815, at the expense of George Horn, Esq.; it has an endowment ot £10 per annum for the education of the poor children of the parish."