"THORNTON STEWARD, a parish in the wapentake of West Hang, North Riding county York, 7 miles W. of Bedale, its post town, and 3½ N.E. of Middleham. The village is situated near the river Ure. The parish includes the hamlet of Danby. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ripon, value £234, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is dedicated to St. Oswald. The register dates from 1562. The parochial charities produce about £12 per annum. There are a school for both sexes, endowed with an annuity of £10, and a church school. The Wesleyans have a chapel. Lord Bolton is lord of the manor."
"DANBY, (or Danby-on-yore), a hamlet in the parish of Thornton Steward, in the North Riding of the county of York, 2 miles E. of Middleham."