GENUKI Home page    Thornton Watlass Parish<br>main page Thornton Watlass
Parish
main page

THORNTON WATLASS:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

"THORNTON WATLASS, a parish and township in the wapentake of East Hang, North Riding county York, 3 miles S.W. of Bedale, its post town, and 3 N. of Masham. The parish includes the townships of Thirn, Rookwith, and Clifton-upon-Ure. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ripon, value 475. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, contains monuments to the Dodsworth family. There is a free school for eight boys, endowed with an annuity of 8, and a girls' school, principally supported by the rector and Sir C. Dodsworth. Mark Milbank, Esq., is lord of the manor. The Hall is the principal residence."


"CLIFTON UPON URE, a township in the parish of Thornton Watlass, in the wapentake of East Hang, in the North Riding of the county of York, 1 mile S.W. of Thornton Watlass. Clifton Castle, delightfully situated, is the seat of Timothy Hutton, Esq., the lord of the manor."


"ROOKWITH, a township in the parish of Thornton-Watlass, wapentake of East Hang, North Riding county York, 4 miles N. of Masham, 4 S.W. of Bedale, and 2 W. of Thornton-Watlass. It contains but a few scattered farmhouses. The Marquis of Ailesbury is lord of the manor and sole landowner."


"THIRN, a township in the parish of Thornton Watlass, wapentake of East Hang, North Riding county York, 3 miles N. of Masham, and 4 S.W. of Bedale. The Wesleyans have a chapel. The Marquis of Ailesbury is lord of the manor."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson 2003


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014