GENUKI Home page    Thornton Watlass Parish Thornton Watlass
Parish

In 1822, the following places were in


the Parish of Thornton Watlass:


"CLIFTON CASTLE, (The seat of Timothy Hutton, Esq.); in the parish of Thornton Watlass, wapentake of Hang-East; 1¼ miles SW. of Thornton Watlass, 2½ miles from Masham, 4½ from Bedale. 2½ miles from Masham, 4½ from Bedale.

In the reign of Edward II. Geoffrey-le-Scrope, who had large possessions in these parts, obtained license to make a castle of his house at Clifton- upon-Ure, and also for free warren in all his demesne lands at Clifton, &c. -Dugd.-Baron. This castle has long since ceased to exist, and the last remains were removed by the present proprietor in 1802, to make room for the present elegant modern mansion."


"CLIFTON LODGE, (the seat of John Clerveaux Chaytor, Esq.) in the parish of Thornton Watlass, wapentake of Hang-East; 2½ miles from Masham, 4½ from Bedale."


"CLIFTON UPON URE, an area including Clifton Castle in the parish of Thornton Watlass, wapentake of Hang East, and liberty of Richmondshire; 1½ miles WSW. of Thornton Watlass, 2 miles N. of Masham. Pop. 50."


"HELMING, a farm house in the township of Rookwith, and parish of Thornton-Watlass; 2¼ miles W. of Thornton Watlass, 4 miles from Bedale."


"MARRIFIRTH, (2005 - now Marriforth), 2 houses in the parish of Thornton Watlass, wapentake of Hang East, and liberty of Richmondshire; 2¾ miles WNW. of Thornton Watlass, 5 miles SW. of Bedale."


"PASTURE HOUSE, a farm house in the township and parish of Thornton-Watlass; 3 miles from Bedale."


"POND HOUSE, (High and Low), 2 farm houses in the parish of Thornton Watlass, wapentake of Hang East, and liberty of Richmondshire; 1½ miles NNW. of Thornton Watlass, 3 miles WSW. of Bedale."


"ROOKWITH, in the parish of Thornton Watlass, wapentake of Hang East and liberty of Richmondshire; 2 miles WNW. of Thornton Watlass, 4 miles WSW. of Bedale. Pop. 76."


"STONEY CLOSE HOUSE, a farm house in the township of Thirn, and parish of Thornton-Watlass; 3 miles from Masham, 4 from Bedale."


"THIRN, in the parish of Thornton Watlass, & wapentake of Hang East; 1¼ miles WSW. of Thornton Watlass, 2 miles N. of Masham. The residence of C. N. Clarke, Esq. of the Hermitage. Population, 126."

[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. 2010]


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014