GENUKI Home page    Topcliffe Parish<br>main page Topcliffe
Parish
main page

TOPCLIFFE:
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

"TOPCLIFFE, a parish and township in the wapentakes of Birdforth and Hallikeld, North Riding county York, 4 miles S.W. of Thirsk, its post town, and 2 S. of Topcliffe-Gate railway station. The village is situated on the river Swale, and near the Great North of England railway. The parish includes Tishford, Martin-le-Moor, and 8 other townships The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of York, value 600, in the patronage of the dean and chapter. The church is dedicated to St. Colomb. The interior contains a brass of Thomas de Topcliffe and wife, date 1391. In addition to the parish church are the district churches of Baldersby, Dishforth, Martin-le-Moor, and Skipton Bridge, the livings of which are all perpetual curacies, varying in value from 120 to 30. The parochial charities produce about 209 per annum, of which 92 go to Hartforth's free grammar school, and 6 to other schools. There are besides an infant school and a chapel for Wesleyans. Here are vestiges of the ancient seat of the Percys called Maiden Bower, where Henry, the fourth Earl of Northumberland, in 1489, and Thomas, seventh earl, in 1569, were mobbed by the populace, and where, in 1616, Charles I. was delivered up by the Scots to the parliamentary commissioners upon payment of 200,000. Fairs are held on the first Tuesday after 14th April, on the 17th and 18th July, called the Great Fair, and on 8th October."


"ASENBY, (or Azenby), a township in the parish of Topcliffe, wapentake of Hallikeld, in the North Riding of the county of York, 5 miles to the S.W. of Thirsk. The river Swale runs on the eastern side of the township."


"BALDESBY, a chapelry and township in the parish of Topcliffe, wapentake of Birdforth in the North Riding of the county of York, 5 miles to the N.E. of Ripon. Thirsk is its post town. At Baldersby Gate is a station on the Leeds and Thirsk branch of the North Eastern railway. The township lies on the west side of the river Swale. The living is a perpetual curacy* value 120, in the patronage of Viscount Donne."


"CATTON, a township in the parish of Topcliffe, wapentake of Birdforth, in the North Riding of the county of York, 5 miles to the S.W. of Thirsk. It is seated on the banks of the river Swale, not far from the Leeds, Thirsk, and Stockton branch of the North-Eastern railway. Catton House is an old seat."


"CRAKEHILL, a hamlet in the parish of Topcliffe, wapentake of Birdforth, in the North Riding of the county of York, 5 miles S. of Thirsk, and 7 N.E. of Ripon. In conjunction with Elmire it forms a township."


"DALTON, a township in the parish of Topcliffe, wapentake of Birdforth, in the North Riding of the county of York, 4 miles S. of Thirsk and 1 mile W. of Sessay station. It is situated on a branch of the river Codbeck. There are chapels for the Primitive Methodists and Wesleyans."


"DISHFORTH, a township and chapelry in the parish of Topcliffe, wapentake of Hallikeld, in the North Riding of the county of York, 3 miles N. of Boroughbridge, and 2 from Topcliffe. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of York, value 80, in the patronage of the Vicar of Topcliffe. The church is a stone structure. There are chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans, also an endowed school. Colonel George Wyndham is lord of the manor."


"ELMIRE WITH CRAKEHILL, a township in the parish of Topcliffe, wapentake of Birdforth, North Riding county York, 4 miles S. of Thirsk, its post town."


"MARTON LE MOOR, a township and chapelry in the parishes of Topcliffe and Kirby Hill, wapentake of Hallikeld, North Riding county York, 3 miles N. of Ripon, its post town, and 3 N.W. of Boroughbridge. The soil is a rich loam. The*village is small and wholly agricultural. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of York, value 72. The church is a neat stone edifice. Earl de Grey is lord of the manor and sole landowner. There is a National school"


"NEWBY, a township in the parish of Topcliffe, wapentake of Hallikeld, North Riding county York, 6 miles N. by W. of Boroughbridge."


"RAINTON CUM NEWBY, a township in the parish of Topcliffe, wapentake of Hallikeld, North Riding county York, 4 miles N.E. of Ripon, and 5 N.W. of Boroughbridge. The village, which is of small extent, is chiefly agricultural. The soil consists of clay and gravel. The Wesleyans have a place of worship, erected in 1811. Earl de Grey is lord of the manor."


"SKIPTON UPON SWALE, a township in the parish of Topcliffe, wapentake of Birdforth, North Riding county York, 4 miles W. of Thirsk, its post town, and 7 N.E. of Ripon. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the river Swale, and is wholly agricultural. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of York, value 30. The church, dedicated to St. John the Evangelist, was built in 1842. The Wesleyans have a chapel."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson 2003


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014