GENUKI Home page    Topcliffe Parish Topcliffe
Parish

In 1822, the following places were in


the Parish of Topcliffe:


"ASENBY, in the parish of Topcliffe, wapentake of Halikeld, and liberty of Allertonshire; mile SSW. of Topcliffe, 5 miles N. of Boroughbridge. Pop. 230."


"BALDERSBY ST JAMES, in the parish of Topcliffe, wapentake of Halikeld, and liberty of Richmond; 2 miles WNW. of Topcliffe, 6 miles SW. of Thirsk. Population, 241,"


"BUSBY STOOP, in the parish of Topcliffe, wapentake of Birdforth; 3 miles NNW. of Topcliffe, 4 miles SW. of Thirsk.

Busby Stoop, so called from a person of that name, being gibbetted here for the murder of Daniel Awtie, about 1702, whose daughter Busby had married."


"CATTON, in the parish of Topcliffe, and wapentake of Birdforth; 2 miles NW. of Topcliffe, 5 miles SW. of Thirsk. Pop. 99."


"CRAKEHILL, in the parish of Topcliffe, and wapentake of Birdforth; 2 miles SE. of Topcliffe, 6 miles S. of Thirsk. Pop. with Eldmire, 78."


"DALTON, in the parish of Topcliffe, and wapentake of Birdforth; 2 miles E. of Topcliffe, 5 miles S. of Thirsk. Here is a Methodist chapel, old connexion. Pop. 235."


"DISHFORTH, in the parish of Topcliffe, wapentake of Halikeld, and liberty of Richmondshire; 2 miles SSW. of Topcliffe, 4 miles N. of Boroughbridge. Here is a Chapel of Ease, under Topcliffe, incumbent the Dean of Ripon, and the Rev. Thomas, Allanson, curate. Here is also an Anabaptist chapel, the ministers are supplied from the academy at Bradford. This neighbourhood is famous for the growth of Barley. Pop. 340."


"ELDMIRE, (sometimes Elmyre or Elmer) in the parish of Topcliffe, and wapentake of Birdforth; 1 miles ESE. of Topcliffe, 5 miles S. of Thirsk. Pop. with Crakehall 78."


"GRISTHWAITE, 3 farm houses in the township and parish of Topcliffe, wapentake of Birdforth; 2 miles NE. of Topcliffe, 2 miles from Thirsk, 9 from Ripon."


"HARAM GRANGE, a farm house in the township of Aisenby, and parish of Topcliffe; 1 mile S. of Topcliffe, 5 miles from Ripon."


"MARTON LE MOOR, in the parish of Topcliffe, and wapentake of Halikeld; 4 miles SSW. of Topcliffe, 3 miles NW. of Boroughbridge. Here is a Chapel of Ease, under the Deanery of Ripon; the Rev. Isaac Crackelt, curate. Marton was formerly surrounded with moors, all of which are now enclosed. Agricultural distress so severely felt in other parts of the kingdom is unknown here. The township contains one thousand five hundred acres of land, the property of His Grace the Duke of Devonshire, and it supports thirteen farmers in a state of comfort, in consequence of their low rents. Pop. 201."


"NEWBY PARK, (the residence of John Charles Ramsden, Esq.) in the township of Rainton, and parish of Topcliffe; 5 miles from Ripon, 5 from Thirsk, 6 from Boroughbridge."


"RAINTON, in the parish of Topcliffe, wapentake of Halikeld, and liberty of Richmondshire; 2 miles WSW. of Topcliffe, 4 miles NE. of Ripon. Here is a Methodist chapel also a Free School, built and endowed by Lord Grantham, in the year 1818. Pop. including Newby 347."


"SKIPTON ON SWALE, (and Skipton Bridge) in the parish of Topcliffe, and wapentake of Birdforth; (the residence of Thomas Barstow, Esq.) 4 miles SW. of Thirsk. Population, 110."


"THORPE FIELD HOUSES, in the parish of Topcliffe, and wapentake of Birdforth; 2 miles NNE. of Topcliffe, 2 miles S. of Thirsk."

[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. 2010]


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014