Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for UPLEATHAM: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

UPLEATHAM: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1868.

"UPLEATHAM, a parish in the E. division of Langbaurgh liberty, North Riding county York, 3 miles N.E. of Guisborough, its post town. The parish includes the hamlet of Redcar. It was once held by Siward the Dane, and came to Hugh Lupus, and to the Bruces and Fauconbergs of Skelton. The soil is clayey, alternated with rich loam. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of York, value £80, in the patronage of the archbishop. The old church stands about a mile distance from the village, the churchyard being still used for interments. The new church, situated in the centre of the village, was built in 1836 at an expense of £450. There are schools for both sexes, and a Sunday-school, built by Lord Zetland and supported by Lady Zetland. The principal residence is the Hall, the seat of the Earl of Zetland, who is lord of the manor."


"REDCAR, a chapelry, fishing village, and post town in the parishes of Upleatham and Marske-by-the-Sea, E. division of the liberty of Langbaurgh, North Riding county York, 6 miles N.N.E. of Guisborough, and 7½ N. of Middlesborough. It is a station on the Stockton and Darlington railway. It is a fishing village and bathing town situated at the mouth of the Tee, near the coast of the North Sea. In 1833 Mr. Brooks projected Port William pier harbour of refuge, covering an area---of 500 acres with 30 feet of water. The harbour is 1,000 feet in width at the mouth. The village contains several inns and private lodging houses. The surface is flat, and the soil of various qualities, being on the sea side a sandy loam, and farther inland a strong clay producing good wheat crops. The impropriate tithes belong to the Earl of Zetland. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of York, value £50. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is a modern structure with a tower containing two bells. There is a school for both sexes, in which a Sunday-school is also held. The Independents, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists have each a place of worship; there is also a Friends' meeting-house. The Earl of Zetland is lord of the manor."

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2016