Parish main page
Wapentake of Langbaurgh (East Division) - Electoral Division of Marske-by-the-Sea - Petty Sessional Division of Langbaurgh East - Poor Law Union of Guisborough - County Court District of Stokesley - Rural Deanery of Middlesbrough - Archdeaconry of Cleveland - Diocese of York.
This is a small parish of 1,426 acres, occupying an elevated tract between Guisborough and Marske. The gross estimated rental is £9,435; rateable value, £8,945; and the population (1881), 488. The soil is a rich loam, and the surface boldly undulated. Beneath lies a seam of ironstone, 13 feet thick, and estimated to contain 36,100,000 tons. The mines were opened out about thirty-five years ago, and are worked by Messrs. Pease & Partners, who employ here about 500 men and boys. The average yearly output is about 700,000 tons.
The manor of Upleatham, before the Conquest, belonged to Siward, Earl of Northumberland, one of the most powerful nobles in the kingdom; and soon after that event we find it in the possession of William de Percy, ancestor of the Earls of Northumberland. Subsequently it was granted to Robert de Brus, Lord of Skelton, and has since passed through various families, as recorded under Marske, to the present possessor, the Earl of Zetland, who is also the principal landowner.
The village is delightfully situated on the southern declivity of a hill, and commands a beautiful view of Skelton Castle and the intervening vale, but it cannot be said to present the same "charming aspect of tranquility and retirement" since the opening of the neighbouring mines. The Church was given by Robert de Brus to the Priory of Guisborough; a perpetual curacy was instituted, and the ministerial functions were performed by the monks of that house. This old church stands near the Holebeck, about half-a-mile from the village, and is now used for funeral purposes only. The tower was rebuilt in 1684. A new church was erected in 1835, at a cost of £450, towards which the Archbishop of York, patron of the perpetual curacy, gave £100; the Earl of Zetland, £200; the Church Building Society, £75; the remainder was raised by a rate. In 1885, the interior was entirely altered and beautified, at the sole expense of the present Earl of Zetland. The font is a piece of very fine Norman work, removed from the old church. The living has been augmented by grants from Queen Anne's Bounty and other donations, and is now valued at £300. The vicarage is a very handsome structure, erected in 1873, at a cost of £1,870. The tithes belong to the Archbishop of York, and were commuted, in 1841, for a rent-charge of £236. The present vicar is the Rev. Thomas H. Dixon, M.A.
There are also two very neat dissenting chapels in the village, one belonging to the Wesleyans, a freestone building, erected in 1862; the other to the Primitive Methodists, a brick structure, built in 1863. The School is an attractive building, erected and endowed by the late Earl of Zetland. A short distance from the village is Upleatham Hall, one of the residences of the Earl of Zetland. It is a handsome modern mansion, with a pleasant southern aspect, and sheltered on the north by rising ground, oruamentally laid out, and on the east by luxuriant plantations. The other seats of the noble owner are Aske Hall, Richmond, Kerse House, Stirling, N.B., and 9, Arlington Street, Piccadilly, London.
[Description(s) from Bulmer's History and Directory of North Yorkshire (1890)]
Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.