"UPPER HELMSLEY, a parish in the wapentake of BULMER, North riding of the county of YORK, 7 miles E.N.E. from York, containing 63 inhabitants. The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry of Cleveland, and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £4. 19. 2., endowed with £400 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Crown. The church is dedicated to St. Peter."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]