Parish main page
Wapentake of Bulmer - Petty Sessional Division of Bulmer East - Electoral Division of Flaxton - Poor Law Union and County Court District of York - Rural Deanery of Bulmer - Archdeaconry of Cleveland - Diocese of York.
This is another small parish, comprising 832 acres, of which 741 are under assessment. Its rateable value is £1,071, and the number of inhabitants 71. Colonel Herbert, of Upper Helmsley Hall, is the principal landowner and lord of the manor.
Upper or Over Helmsley anciently belonged to a family named Helmsley, one of whom, Walter Helmsley, died in the early part of the 14th century, leaving a daughter and heiress, who married Edward Thwenge, a son of Marmaduke Thwenge, lord of Kilton, The manor and estate continued in the possession of this family until the first or second year of James I., when it was conveyed, by the marriage of the heiress, to George Wilmer, Esq. After four descents in this family, the estate came into the possession of Mary, sole surviving daughter and heiress of Randall Wilmer, Esq., and wife of Joshua Field, Esq., of Heaton. It subsequently descended by marriage to the Whittells, and in like manner to the present owner, whose wife is the daughter of the late Joshua Field Whittell, Esq.
The village is small, but pleasantly situated, seven miles N.E. of York, The church (St. Peter) was rebuilt in 1888, at a cost of £2,000, the whole of which was defrayed by Mrs. Herbert. It is a neat stone structure, consisting of nave, chancel, with vestry on the north side, porch, and tower containing four bells. The pulpit is of stone, and the floor of the ambulatory, Venetian granite. The edifice which previously occupied the site was a brick one, rebuilt in 1795 by Mrs. Jane Wilmer, great great grandmother of the present Mrs. Herbert. The living is a rectory, worth £135, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor, and held by the Rev. G. Horner, M.A.
The tithes were commuted for a rent-charge of £97. There are two acres of glebe.
[Description(s) from Bulmer's History and Directory of North Yorkshire (1890)]
Scan, OCR and html by Colin Hinson. Checking and correction by Peter Nelson.