"WARTHILL, a parish partly in the wapentake of BULMER, North riding, and comprising the township pf Warthill within the liberty of ST-PETER-of-YORK, East riding, of the county of YORK, containing 153 inhabitants, of which number, 115 are in the town- ship of Warthill, 5 miles E.N.E. from York. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the peculiar jurisdiction and patronage of the Prebendary of Warthill in the Cathedral Church of York, rated in the king's books at £3. 1. 8., and endowed with £800 royal bounty. The church is dedicated to St. Mary."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]