"WARTHILL, a parish, partly in the wapentake of Bulmer, North Riding, and partly within the liberty of St. Peter's, East Riding, county York, 5 miles N.E. of York, its post town. The soil is sandy. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York, value £160, in the patronage of the archbishop. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. Brookfield House is the principal residence. J. Agar, Esq., is lord of the manor and chief landowner."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013