"WATH, a parish in the wapentakes of Allertonshire and Hallikeld, North Riding county York, 4½ miles N. of Ripon, its post town, and half a mile N.W. of Melmerby station on the North-Eastern railway. The village is situated on the Leeds and Thirsk railway, near the river Ure. The parish includes the township of Norton Conyers and the villages of Melmerby and Middleton-Quernhow. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ripon, value £981. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, has a chapel on the S. side, erected at the expense of Sir B. Graham, Bart., of Norton Conyers, and called Norton Chapel. The parochial charities produce about £108 per annum, £83 of which go to Samwaies' free school and almshouses, founded in 1690. There is an infant school."
"MELMERBY, a township in the parish of Wath, wapentake of Hallikeld, North Riding county York, 4½ miles N. of Ripon, and a quarter of a mile from the Melmerby Junction railway station. There is a chapel for Wesleyans."
"MIDDLETON QUERNHOW, a chapelry in the parish of Wath, wapentake of Hallikeld, North Riding county York, 5 miles N.N.E. of Ripon. The village is small, and most of the inhabitants are engaged in agriculture. The land is nearly evenly divided between arable and meadow and pasture."
"NORTON CONYERS, a township in the parish of Wath, wapentake of Allertonshire, North Riding county York, 4 miles N. by E. of Ripon, and 9 S.E. of Bedale. It is situated on the river Ouse. The land is nearly evenly divided between arable and pasture, with a considerable tract of common."
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
by Colin Hinson ©2013