"WELBURY, a parish in the wapentake of BIRDFORTH, North riding of the county of YORK, 6 miles N.N.E. from North Allerton, containing 257 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Cleveland, and diocese of York, rated in the king's books at £7- 2. 11., and in the patronage of the King, as Duke of Lancaster. The church, dedicated to St. Leonard, has been lately rebuilt."
[Transcribed by Mel Lockie © from
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1835]