"WELBURY, a parish in the wapentake of Birdforth, North Riding county York, 6 miles N.E. of Northallerton. It is a station on the North-Eastern railway. It is nearly encircled by the river Wisk. There are brick and tile kilns. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York, value £350, in the patronage of the Duchy of Lancaster. The church, dedicated to St. Leonard, has been rebuilt. There is a parochial school."
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013