"LANGWITH, (or Longwith) a farm house in the parish of Well, wapentake of Hang East, and liberty of Richmondshire; 1 mile E. of Well, 3 miles S. of Bedale."
"ROSKILL HOUSE, a farm house in the, township of Snape, and parish of Well; 1¾ miles NW. of Well, 2½ miles from Masham, 4 from Bedale."
"SNAPE, in the parish of Well, wapentake of Hang East, and liberty of Richmondshire; 1½ miles N. of Well, 3 miles S. of Bedale. Here is a Methodist chapel. The principal trade here is wool-combing, and many of the worsted spinners in the West Riding, are supplied with combed wool from this place and Masham. Pop. 689.
In 1605, Thomas, Earl of Exeter, and Dorothy his wife, founded and endowed a house called Nevile's work house, for the maintenance and education of a master and mistress and eight poor girls of the townships of Well and Snape, likewise an hospital or alms house for eight aged persons. In 1788, this house was changed into four free schools, for a boy and a girl out of every house in each township, above the age of five, and under the age of thirteen. The master's salary 30L. mistress's, 16L. Snape Hall, in Leland's time, was "a goodly Castel in a valley belonging to the Lord Latimer, and ii or iii parkes well wodded." (Modern(ish) = a goodly Castle in a valley belonging to Lord Latimer, and two or three parks well wooded (well wooded = lots of trees) -CH)"
"SNAPE HALL, (or Snape Castle), in the parish of Well, formerly a seat of the Fitz Randolph's, Lords of Middleham, Earls of Exeter, &c. but now the property of Mark Milbank, Esq. M. P. is situated in this village. This ancient house is in a dilapidated state, but sufficient remains to show its former extent and magnificence. It is probable, that the present mansion was built by the Latimers, not earlier perhaps, than Henry VII. or VIII. but a house or castle of great extent, must have before stood on the same site."
"THORPE PERROW, or THORPE HALL, (the seat of Mark Milbank, Esq.) in the township of Snape, and parish of Well; 2¼ miles N. of Well, 2 miles from Bedale, 5 from Masham."
"WATLASS MOOR HOUSE, a farm house in the township of Snape, and parish of Well; 2 miles from Masham."
"WET RAIN, or Wheatrain, a farm house in the township of Snape, and parish of Well ; 2½ miles NNW. of Well, 2 miles from Bedale."
[Description(s) edited mainly from various 19th century sources by Colin Hinson. ©2010]