"WENSLEY, is a village, in the parish of its name, three miles W.N.W. from Middleham. The whole parish contained, by the parliamentary returns for 1821, 2,182 inhabitants, of which number 317 were of Wensley township." Note: The directory entry for Wensley in Pigot's 1829 Directory is included with Middleham.
"LEYBURN, or Leybourn, is a village and township, in the parish of Wensley, west hang wapentake and north riding, about 235 miles north of London, situated in a small fertile valley, between two lofty and barren hills. The adjacent country is noted for rearing cattle and sheep, as are its fairs for the sale of them; they take place on the second Fridays in the months of February, May, October and December. The population, in 1821, was 810." Note: The directory entry for Leyburn in Pigot's 1829 Directory is included with Middleham.